Wednesday 24 March 2010

My Story and Characters

My chosen story is called Bertie and the Beast. In this story I have three characters, two of which have already been created, they are Bertie the Pirate and Pecky the Parrot, these are the two main characters. There is however the Beast, he is a very mysterious creature, in the beginning of the story and actually through out his identity never really revealed. All that is described to us is his yellow, glowing eyes peeping through the bushes and the white tip of his tail. He does reveal himself to the characters in the story but he is not decibed to us. This has given me scope to develop my own character, with the only stipulations being he is beast like, has yellow eyes and a white tip to his tail.

Once I had read my story through several times, I split it up into sections, scenes, overall I have about 18 different scenes, as my story is quite long. I had to split it up into this many chunks as I did not want to much text on each illustration, otherwise to much would be going on.

M next task was to start creating my new character. I had so many thoughts of what I wanted it to be, from a monkey to a lizard. Some sketches of various ideas are in my sketch book. In the end I decided upon a dinosaur, as they are very much beast like, but can be quite cute in a wired way. In the story it ends with them being friends so he cant be to fierce looking! In the end I tried to create a cute dinosaur that is all scary looks but a big softy deep down. Below I introduce you to Dino! (not completely taken by the name yet, so lets call him the Beast).


I did many versions of him, to begin with I just had him all with the two tones of green, but I later thought that this was a bit bland so I added purple to jazz him up. I did many eyes for him also which are all in my sketch book, but I settled with these ones, thought they gave him expression, he did not look too cute but neither did he too scary, just right.

With the other characters there was not a great deal for me to develop. I needed to create some more expressions for Bertie and Pecky, I needed Pecky flying, so there for needing to create some wings. Back views of the Beast, Bertie already had one. So it was just arranging them all into different positions depending on what they are doing in the scene at the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment