Tuesday 11 May 2010

Research

My first movie trailer I looked at was for a new film called the Prince of Persia. This film trailer is the prime example of a trailer for a hollywood film. It has the slower, longer shots, with fewer cuts which builds up and up. The build up is so we can get a grip on the story then the pace picks up and the cuts get sharper and much quicker, until it reaches its crescendo and ends with a bang. Another trailer that is similar is Gladiator.



I picked one particular scene to have a look at the amount of edits, cuts were used. I decided to pick one very memorable scene where Maximus says his all famous quote. " My name is Maximus Decimus Meidius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servent to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have vengeance, in this life or the next". In the time it took for him to say this, I counted 12 cuts in just 8 seconds. I imagine there are places in the film were the cuts are alot faster, however I thought that the way that this scene in particular was put together was good, I like the way it flashes back to him then away again to action scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment