Sunday 18 October 2009

Project 2 - Packaging Yourself

On upon receiving our assignment which was to use vectors to create an illustration of an original product box with graphically designed packaging, such as soap boxes, cornflake boxes, washing powder boxes etc, substituting your name for the product name. I needed to review and research all types of box packaging. I began by listing all the box packaging that I knew of; cat and dog biscuits, DVD/games, children toys, tissue boxes, shoes boxes, board games, perfume, pizza boxes, electrical products, ice cream and frozen food etc. I now needed to look at individual products more closely, I am going to begin with cat and dog biscuits as this comes first on my list.




Above are two examples of boxed packaging aimed at the pet market. We have one aimed at cats and one at dogs. However both look rather similar, both are of similar tones and colours; yellow seems to be the most prominent colour used, yellow could reflect happiness, excitement, but I think that in this case it is very universal and appealing to a pet owner. Images of the product are placed on the front so; in this case, 'Go Cat' and 'Pedigree' both well known. Also the image of the animal that the product is aimed at is very important.

Next I thought I would look at probably the most popular box packaging, cereals; there are many types of cereals all aimed at different audiences, there is the age separation for example, children, teens, adults and then there is the different health options, diet ones e.g Special K, and muesli. Below are a few examples.



All these packaging are very different, and it is very clear what audience they are trying to attract. If I decide to go with the cereal box idea, I will further look at the different qualities of them and look at different audiences to see which one would be my personal choice.

Next I looked at perfumes; below are few. I found that the majority of the packaging did not have images and mainly focused on the product name/designer name, as this is what sell the perfume. Customers tend to go for their desired designer.



Board games,there are loads and loads of varied and different types, below are just a very thin selection of the vast market.









No comments:

Post a Comment