Monday 9 November 2009

Naming and designing a logo for my cereal box

It now came time to name my cereal box and start to think of a concept. My name must be easy to say, easy to read, easy to spell, colourful and most importantly memorable. I had a few ideas, however the one in particular that stuck me the most was the idea of having the alphabet as the main point of interest. I thought that the idea of the the alphabet is a suitable subject for my age range, as the alphabet and spelling is the main part of their education. I am aiming to have the actual cereal in the shape of the alphabet, probably in capital letters. I needed a name first and foremost so I am then able to create a whole concept around that for example create a character and my colour scheme etc.

I had a selection of names after having a brainstorming session, they were the following:
Speller Bites, Alpha Crunch, Alpha Munch, Spellers, Spells, Jumble, Alpha Oat Crunchies, A2Z, Letterbox, Alpha Nibbles, A,B,Crunch, ABC's and Speller Oaties.

After taking them all into consideration I thought that the most appropriate and the one that will work the best is Speller Oaties. From this name there are various different concepts that could come out of it, for example I could base the cereal on witch and wizard's to play on the name 'Speller' and have a character of a wizard casting a spell on the cereal bowl which then produces the name of the cereal coming out the cereal bowl. So the character is casting a spell, in order to produce the spelling of the cereal name, so the character is also spelling the word, which is the whole idea of the cereal, spelling.

Now that I had decided on a name next was to decide on a font, I tried many different ones and have put a few of the examples in my sketch book. The ones that I would have initially gone for, for example the ones that are fun, chunky and like bubble writing were not as suitable as first thought. I found that these fonts made the name the letters converge to much as one, therefore not making it as clear and legible as I would have liked. I need the font almost to be as simple as possible as I am designing a spelling cereal, the text needs to be clear and easy to read otherwise I am kind of defeating the whole object. I decided to go for Helvetica Bold in the end as this is clear and has well shaped letters that will be easy for the child to recognize.
Next I needed a logo, this would be my brand name. As part of the brief we needed to have our name as either the name of the product or the product brand name. I chose to have my name as the brand name, however I did not want to use my first name as this did not really have a ring or flow to it, so I decided to have my middle name 'Florence' as the brand name. I now needed a font, after looking at various different other companies brands names and their fonts I decided that similar to Kelloggs, I wanted a scripted font. I have some examples that I have included in my sketch book, the font that I decided upon was Brush script MC italic, I liked this font as it was classy and exuded a very business like impression.


No comments:

Post a Comment